The Helifix Crack Stitching Kit contains the necessary components for the effective and reliable stitching of cracked masonry. Bonding HeliBar stainless steel bars into appropriate bed joints or cut slot stabilises the masonry and redistributes tensile loads to minimise further development of the crack.
- 10 x 1m lengths of 6mm HeliBar
- 1 x 3Ltr tub of HeliBond cementicious grout
- Mortar chisel and rake
- Mixing paddle
- Applicator with fitted applicator nozzle
- *Required tool not included: 3-jaw-chuck power drill.
1. Rake out or cut slots into the horizontal mortar beds, a minimum of 500mm either side of the crack, to the specified depth.
2. Clean out slots with blow pump and apply HeliPrimer WB or flush with water.
3. Using the CS Pointing Gun Kit, inject a bead of HeliBond to the back of the slot.
4. Using a finger trowel, or similar, push the HeliBar into the grout to obtain good coverage.
5. Insert a further bead of HeliBond over the exposed HeliBar, finishing 10-15mm from the face, and ‘iron’ into the slot using a finger trowel.
6. Make good the vertical crack with an epoxy-based weatherproof filler e.g. Crackbond TE. Repoint the mortar bed and make good.
Where two or more cracks are close together these may be stitched using one continuous length of HeliBar which must be long enough to extend 500mm beyond the outer cracks. e.g. if there are three cracks, each 250mm apart, then the overall length of HeliBar required would be 1.5m.
The horizontal slot, normally the mortar bed, can be cut using a twin diamond blade chaser with vacuum attachment, an angle grinder or a mortar chisel.
All mortar must be removed, together with any loose debris, to ensure a sound bond.
Prepare the slot with HeliPrimer or thoroughly wet the slot with clean water.
As standard, slots should be 10mm wide to accommodate the 6mm diameter HeliBar. For thin joints use 4.5mm HeliBar.
HeliBond grout is the recommended bonding agent. PolyPlus resin is used for smaller jobs or where loads are to be rapidly applied.
- Suitable for ALL types of masonry including listed and historic structures and those with lime mortar.
- Austenetic stainless steel reinforcing bars.
- Fully concealed, non-disruptive repair solution.
- Cost-effective and more reliable than crack injection methods.
- HeliBond cementitious grout is injectable and rapidly produces high compressive strength.
- Quick, simple, effective and permanent.
- HeliBar and HeliBond grout combine to produce an excellent bond within the substrate.
- Masonry remains flexible enough to accommodate natural building movement.
- Reduces likelihood of further cracking nearby
- Avoids costly and disruptive tear down and rebuild.