Where foundation settlement results in cracked or buckled walls, Helifix Micro-pile solutions provide a technically superior and more cost-effective alternative to expensive, disruptive and timeconsuming methods of stabilisation that require extensive excavations.
Backed by more than 80 years of structural engineering experience, this non-intrusive and economical method of overcoming subsidence problems causes minimal disruption to the building fabric or to the occupants, who normally remain in residence while the work is carried out. No mass excavations are needed, work is undertaken externally and noise levels remain low.
Helifix Micro-piles ensure that the affected masonry is fully supported and prevent further property settlement. When combined with Helifix masonry repair products, the above ground structure is reliably repaired, reinforced and secured. On completion all repairs are fully concealed.
How the System Works
Helifix in-house engineers assess each situation and design repairs based on the damage and weight of the individual property and the local ground conditions. Fully trained contractors supply and rapidly install the systems.
The Helifix Micro-pile system is simple but extremely effective. Following minimal excavations to the foot of the foundations at predetermined spacings, a notch is cut in the footings to enable the underpinning bracket to be located adjacent to the building wall to minimise the eccentric load. The helical pile is then “screwed” deep into the stable subsoil using lightweight, hand-held equipment until the specified torque is achieved. This determines the pile’s load bearing capacity.
Adjustable “L” shaped brackets are fitted to the piles and placed under the foundations. The brackets are then jacked up to take the required building load. Further settlement is avoided with the building weight being supported by the piles.
Either before or after installing micro-piles to support the building, depending on the situation, if the main structure requires stablisation the well proven Helibeam System is used to reinforce the masonry, stitch cracks and spread the loads by forming masonry beams between the piles. Stainless steel helical bars are bonded into channelled out mortar beds to provide a fully concealed non-disruptive repair that stabilises the masonry and retains the existing brickwork.
- A versatile and technically well proven system.
- Low cost – for both the system and installation
- Rapid contract times with minimum disruption
- Ideal for situations with restricted access
- No large plant or equipment required
- Quick and easy installation with hand-held drive head
- No spoil removal
- Minimal noise – no vibrations
- Perfect for private houses and lightweight structures
- Proven relationship between torque/bearing capacity
- Grouted pile possible
- Repair schemes designed by in-house engineers
- Covered by Helifix Professional Indemnity insurance
- Nationwide Approved Installer network
- Typically just a 750mm x 750mm pit required
- Reversible action normally makes pile removal possible
- Solid, high tensile steel shaft
- Typical ultimate load up to 220kN per pile
- Economical cost per tonne load
- Loaded with hydraulic jack so that no further property settlement occurs
- Complete turnkey package